Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Screaming Fast Fatback Ride!

I picked up a Garmin unit to track my rides. I've had several bike computers but they all give spurious results and messed up my totals. Not a big deal as I don't really keep that close track on things anyway but figured that the Garmin would nail things down without any room for errors.

So when TOB and I did a little neighborhood spin tonight, I was a little surprised at the miles we had racked up but it did explain why she was so hungry and I was so tired.



Next time we ride to the Bay of Bengal, I'd like to take it a little slower because, to be honest, I don't remember a single thing about the trip.

4 comments:

  1. I had some weird things happen with my old Garmin 205. It never took me to the Bay of Bengal, but it would occasionally jump off course to some place I'd never been.

    The Garmin's now collecting dust in an old toolbox, but I still get my mileage thrown out of whack when my wireless road bike computer picks up a signal from traffic light sensors. Nothing like standing still and seeing the computer tell me I'm going 56 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always used a bike computer on all my previous bikes.
    That is until I purchased a Garmin Map60 series GPSr, and a handlebar mount. That was 7 years ago, and I would never go back to a bike computer!!
    My now Garmin Map60CSx is invaluable, and has never put me where I haven't been!! ;)

    Of course, I love to ride my Fat bike and Geocache, so a handheld GPSr is a given.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had seen this before Thursday. I am thinking of splurging on a Garmin myself. How do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snak Shak - I like it just fine and this post has been the only errant trip it has taken me on. I'm still figuring stuff out on it like how to see my heart rate when I'm riding rather than just the summary after the fact but then I haven't read the manual either...

    ReplyDelete