Sunday, January 4, 2009

0 degrees, -15 wind chill, dusk to dark

0 degrees, -15 wind chill, dusk to dark. Why?

Upper:

Thin base layer tank top, long sleeve thin merino wool base layer, Icebreaker merino t-shirt, Bodyfit 260 long sleeve, with a Gore BikeWear jacket for the outer layer. This was perfect. This jacket has pit zips that I open pretty quickly to keep from getting sweaty and I then regulate my temp with the front zipper to let just a little air in on my chest.

Hands:

Army surplus shooter’s gloves with heater packs which was perfect. I started out with a thick wool liner glove but it was too bulky and too warm so they came off. I always give myself options for my hands though I generally don’t have to make changes on the road.

Lower:

Ibex Climawool pants over Craft wind bibs over silk tights over wind front briefs over merino wool boxers. This was good but I should have had some sort of cycling shorts. I forgot about them because I had been skiing, skijoring actually, and still wanted more of a workout and thought I was pretty much dressed to ride as well.

Feet:

Medium weight wool socks, thin wool liner socks with Lake Winter boots covered by neoprene cycling shoe covers. I also had one heater pack under the toes of each foot; left overs from skiing.  My toes got just a little chilly at the very end of the ride but not enough to cause concern or stop me if I had intended to keep going.

Head:

Wore my down-hill ski helmet with medium balaclava and cycling glasses. This was pushing it as the balaclava got very iced up very quickly and only offers slight wind protection. I started with the wind at my back and when I turned into the wind, I pretty quickly had to put on my neoprene face-mask and switch to the ski goggles that I keep attached to the helmet for just such occasions.

Riding pace:

I’m guessing around an 8 mph. pace mostly over freshly plowed trails.

Etc.:

This was a fitness ride of about 15 miles that took around an hour and a half. Making certain I open the vents on my jacket early enough so I keep from getting sweaty in the first place was one of the hardest things to learn about winter biking but now that I have it down, I am always comfortable when I ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment