Saturday, November 1, 2008

Upper 30's start, 50 at the end, low wind, bright sun

I have been trying to keep track of what I wear for different riding conditions and I have a spreadsheet that I use as a guide but it's pretty rough. I am going to start capturing what I wear for my own review but thought that others might find it helpful too so I'll start putting it here for all to see with the Chilly Dress Code label. It'll look like this from today's ride:

Upper:

Merino tank, merino t-shirt, Icebreaker Bodyfit 260 long sleeve, Ibex climawool shell. Should have left off the Icebreaker and just went with armwarmers which I still would have had to remove for the second half of the ride but they would have been easier to stuff into a pocket.

Hands:

Nike wind-proof cycling gloves to start, regular long finger cycling gloves for the second half. These were perfect.

Lower:

Ibex wool boxers under Ibex wool cycling shorts with midweight tights. This combination was also perfect.

Feet:

Wool socks with Lake Winter boots. Perfect at the start but a bit warm for the second half though I would do this again since I don’t think regular cycling shoes with covers would have been enough for the first half.

Head:

Light balaclava for the first half under my regular helmet with a helmet cover. This was also perfect.

Riding pace:

I’m guessing a 16-18 mph average for about 35 miles with a very long coffee stop in the middle. It wasn’t a ding around ride but there were no real hill hammering or sprints either. I was on my commuter, the Surly Karate Monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment