Tuesday, November 18, 2008

25-21 degree night ride

25-21 degrees, tail leaning cross-wind out, head leaning cross-wind back, night ridesunny with west north west at 11-17 mph.

Upper:

Merino tank, Ibex merino wool jersey, Icebreaker Bodyfit 260 long sleeve, Ibex climawool shell. This was perfect for the conditions.

Hands:

Perl Izumi lobster ski gloves. This was pretty close to perfect. Started the trip home with thin wool liners but had to take them as they made it a bit warm for the conditions; reminded me that flexibility is key to winter riding.

Lower:

Ibex ClimaWool pants over medium weight merino wool tights over regular cycling  shorts with wind front briefs. This may have been over kill but I was very comfortable and since I was heading to the bar to meet a work friend, I didn’t want to show up in tights.

Feet:

Medium weight wool socks with Lake Winter boots. This was perfect.

Head:

Wore my down-hill ski helmet with light balaclava and my regular glasses. This was nearly perfect but would have been slightly improved if I had taken the time to put in my contacts so I could have worn my cycling glasses.

Riding pace:

I’m guessing a 16-18 mph average for the 7 miles there and about the same for the 9 mile, better neighborhood, ride home. When it’s later evening and dark I tend to avoid the Cedar Lake Trail between downtown and Wirth parkway because it’s very isolated and has had some crime problems and unfortunate vagrant encounters. I haven’t had any big problems but have been approached by folks that made me nervious.

Etc.:

Rode over to the west bank to have a beer with a friend so I knew I would have a couple hours in the bar between trips. I left a little later than planned so I rode a bit harder  than I typically do in winter gear and was a bit damp when I arrived. Thanks to the wonders of wool, I didn’t stink and dried completely well before it was time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment