Sunday, November 9, 2008

27 degrees, sunny with wind at 11-17 mph.

27 degrees start to finish, tail wind out, headwind back, sunny with west north west wind at 11-17 mph.

Upper:

Merino tank, merino t-shirt, Icebreaker Bodyfit 260 long sleeve, Ibex climawool shell. This was perfect for the conditions.

Hands:

Thin wool liners inside Perl Izumi lobster ski gloves. This was a bit warm for the conditions but not to the point of getting too sweaty.

Lower:

Craft wind bib tights over cycling liner shorts. This combination was pretty good but regular cycling shorts for the base might have been a little better.

Feet:

Medium weight wool socks with Lake Winter boots. This was perfect.

Head:

Wore my down-hill ski helmet with my regular cycling glasses. Added the light balaclava under the helmet for the return trip as I was facing a headwind. This was also perfect.

Riding pace:

I’m guessing a 14-16 mph average. Just a utility ride to pick up my new fenders and test out my new studded tires (Schwalbe Marathon Studs, 700c – 40) which are a vast improvement over the Schwalbe Snow Studs I rode last year.

2 comments:

  1. You run studs all winter or do you have 2 bikes for commuting, one studly and one not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always pull out the mountain bike but generally don't so it's studs all winter. I'm actually pretty terrified of slipping on ice so if there is any chance of ice, it's studs for me.

    The Schwalbe Snow Studs I ran last year were pretty rough on dry pavement so this year I opted for their Marathon Winter HS 396 (specifically...) and only have the front one on but I couldn't believe how smoothly it rolled so riding these on pavement will be pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete